Friday 20 August 2010

The Hollyridge Strings - Best of the Beatles Songbook

The Hollyridge Strings
arranged and conducted by Stu Phillips



The Hollyridge Strings was a studio orchestra with a group of largely interchangeable studio musicians that specialized in easy-listening music and recorded for the Capitol Records label in the 1960s and 1970s.

The project was masterminded by music industry veteran Stu Phillips, a composer and producer who previously headlined his own series of Capitol easy listening records including Organ and Strings in Stereo before leaving the label in 1960 to become head of A&R for Colpix Records, where he produced a series of pop smashes including the Marcels' "Blue Moon," Shelley Fabares' "Johnny Angel," Paul Petersen's "My Dad," and James Darren's "Goodbye, Cruel World."

In 1964 he returned to Capitol, where his familiarity and dexterity with the rock idiom made him the logical choice to cash in on Beatlemania with a record targeted at a more mature audience; the first Hollyridge Strings record, The Beatles Song Book, was a Top Ten hit, and resulted in similarly  collections of hits by Elvis Presley, the Beach Boys, the Four Seasons, and Simon & Garfunkel. 
During the week of July 4, 1964, the group's cover version of The Beatles's song "All My Loving" spent a single week on the Billboard Hot 100 chart at position #93.



 01 Love me Do
 02 P.S. I Love You
 03 Please Please Me
 04 I Want To Hold Your Hand
 05 I Saw her Standing There
 06 All My Loving
 07 Can't Buy Me Love
 08 Do You Want To know A Secret
 09 A Taste of Honey
 10 A Hard Days Night
 11 And I Love Her
 12 I Feel Fine
 13 She's A Woman
 14 Eight Days A Week


 01 Ticket To Ride
 02 I'll Follow The Sun
 03 I'm A Loser
 04 Help!
 05 You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
 06 Norwegian Wood
 07 Michelle
 08 I've Just Seen A Face
 09 Yesterday
 10 Drive My Car
 11 Act naturally
 12 We Can Work It out
 13 Day Tripper

  Nowhere Man
  Taximan
  Eleanor Rigby
  Good Day Sunshine
  Yellow Submarine
  Penny Lane
  Strawberry Fields Forever
  Hey Jude
  Here Comes The Sun
  Let it Be
  The Long And Winding Road
  My Sweet Lord
  It Don't Come Easy



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive